Before its first broadcast, there were many amateur broadcasts by the individuals within the radio club and part of the Electrical Engineering department including both students and professors. In 1917 with the United States declaration of war against Germany, the federal government suspended all amateur operations and ordered transmitters to be sealed and unauthorized for use.
The original station and transmitter were located in a shack behind the EE building with a wire antenna strung between two nearby trees. The station went from a shed, to an engineering classroom, to Union’s Psi Upsilon fraternity, to the present admissions office to the Campus Center.
In 1940 the station was given its new call letters WRUC which stood for Wireless Radio of Union College. In 1975 WRUC went FM operating at 10 watts. In 1983 the station moved to 100 watts and moved it’s frequency from 90.9 to 89.7.